Wednesday, September 03, 2008

Righteous Kill - Redband Trailer

This is a movie that I've been looking forward to since last year when I first heard about the project.

Now that it's weeks away, my anticipation has significantly decreased.

I'm just hoping it's not horrible and they don't embarrass themselves.

Back in April, Patrick Goldstein of the Los Angeles Times wrote a particularly scathing and unfair assessment of Pacino and De Niro's recent work.

The title of the article was "How the Mighty have Fallen."

Ouch.

Truth is a movie starring these two should have been made 10 years ago.... heck, to be completely honest 30 years ago would have been ideal...and I'm not talking about two scenes like in Michael Mann's Heat.

I'm talking about a movie where Robert De Niro and Al Pacino share significant screen time together.

There's no doubt that these two are legends. Heck, one look at my banner on this blog will tell you that I'm a big fan of their work.

But these guys are pretty old now.

Pacino is 68, De Niro is 65.

They deserve to go for the quick paycheck, they paid their dues.

It's not really fair to expect these guys to turn in physically strenuous and emotionally demanding performances.

Let's leave that kind of stuff to Christian Bale and Daniel Day Lewis.

Here's hoping they don't embarrass themselves and the flick actually ends up being at least slightly entertaining.




No comments: